After fighting in WWII
Joe McDaniel came back to the states and started his
construction career in 1946. His first job out of the Army
was with the Corps of Engineers. That is what brought him
from his native Mississippi the great state of Texas.
For the next 26 years
Joe was a Supervisor, Superintendent, and Forman for
companies such as H. B. Zachary, Howard Stitch (Stitching
Time), George Consolidated, and Austin Engineering
Company. In 1971 Joe decided to start his own business.
This was a time when there were not as many people in
Austin. As the city grew the demand for subdivisions and
homes grew as well.
Over the next 25
years Joe McDaniel Construction Company has built some 37
subdivisions in and around Austin. Underground utilities
were the mainstay behind the business. During the
subdivision building days the company cleared trees, built
streets, installed underground utilities, poured curb, paved
asphalt, crushed rock, and all of the excavation required
for building a neighborhood.
Joe Mac (as his
friends call him) built all or part of Anderson Mill, Shady
Hollow, Lakewood, Jester, Western Oaks, Lost Creek, Hunters
Chase, Canyon Creek, Woods of Westlake, Barton Creek Lake
Side, Wood Haven, Courtyard, Tangle Wood, Oak Park, Texas
Oaks, Cherry Creek, Oak Plantation, Highland Hills, The
Mountain at Spicewood Springs, The Park, West Creek,
Cimarron Hills, Shady Grove, North Town, and Overlook at
In 1996 Joe saw a
machine on a job that caught his eye. The machine was a
Blount Hydro Ax with a rotary ax tree mulcher. Joe Mac
bought the machine after talking with the owner. After
seeing a demand for the Hydro Ax, Joe Bought several more
machines in the following years. Today there are four Hydro
Axes, and two tree shears in the land clearing fleet.
Today Joe McDaniel
Construction Company Inc. is owned and operated by three
generations of McDaniel’s. Joe, Joe’s son Jeff, Jeff’s son